10 Skin Care Tips for Women
Whether you’re in your twenties or sixties, it’s never too early to too late to begin taking care of your skin. Proper skin care techniques can help prevent skin again as manifested in wrinkles, age spots, and sun damage, and if you’ve already accumulated a well-earned set of smile lines, there are still things you can do to maintain the skin from your youth as long as possible.
Tips and Tricks
1. Wear Sunscreen- You’ve heard it from your mother, your grandmother, your teachers, and now you’re hearing it from us. Estheticians everywhere agree that wearing sunscreen is the BEST thing you can do for your skin. This prevents damage and the later consequences of sun spots, fine lines, and discoloration.
2. Be Gentle- Your skin is not made of rubber but rather of living cells. The rougher you are with your skin whether its rubbing make up on and off, washing your face with harsh products, or constant itching or scratching, your skin will become less elastic if it’s handled too roughly.
3. Manage Stress- Stress can lower your immunity and therefore make your skin more susceptible to acne and blemish causing bacteria. Managing the stress in your life and breathing deeply when you’re feeling overwhelmed will help combat the effects of stress on your skin.
4. Get a Good Night’s Rest- Your body rejuvenates itself while you sleep. You may have noticed your skin take on a yellow, sagging pallor when you haven’t slept sufficiently so make sure you’re going to bed early enough to get in a full 8 hours.
5. Eat a Balanced Diet- This aspect of skin care is often overlooked, but the less processed food you eat, the better the condition of your skin will be. Toxins from processed foods tend to build up in your cells and manifest themselves through acne, blemishes, and rashes. Incorporate more produce into your diet and watch as your skin begins to clear up.
6. Don’t Wash too Often- Many of us fall victim to the myth that we have to wash our faces 5 times a day in order for it to remain clear and smooth. This however, can simply make skin problems worse and can even encourage the onset of wrinkles as our skin becomes dried out and loses its moisture and “freshness,”. Washing your face too often strips the skin of essential oils and your face will over-produce oil to compensate for the dryness.
7. Drink More Water-Water is a vital part of skin health. The more hydrated your body is, the more hydrated your individual cells are and the more fresh and radiant your skin will look. Water also helps to flush toxins from your cells that may because causing your skin to become blemished and irritated.
8. Wash Make-Up Brushes-How many of us bought our make-up brushes years ago and haven’t thought to wash them since? Make –up brushes can actually harbor quite a bit of bacteria and sharing make-up brushes with friends and family can spread the bacteria even further. Make-up brushes (even high-quality ones) can be gently washed with a mild soap and water. Simply wet the brush, put some liquid soap on the back of your hand and gently swirl the brush in it. Then rinse with water and set out on a towel to let dry overnight. Not only will they be clean and bacteria-free, they’ll smell great too!
9. Moisturize at Night-This is especially important if you sleep with a fan on or the window open. Moisturizing after you wash your face at night will allow your skin to retain moisture during it’s most important rejuvenation time—while you sleep.
10. Choose a Wrinkle Cream Early- You are never too young to start looking at wrinkle creams. The secret to clear, smooth, healthy skin is prevention, prevention, prevention. The best wrinkle treatments will contain peptides and a variety of essential vitamins and collagen enhancing ingredients so you can give your skin the best fighting change possible.
By turning these 10 simple skin care tips into daily habits, you can be sure to protect, strengthen, and rejuvenate your skin so you can avoid wrinkles, fine lines, blemishes, and discoloration for as long as possible.